Are you looking for an office with a view? Do you love the outdoors and it’s healing benefits? Combine your love of the ocean with helping people, to become part of the Waves of Wellness team.
WOW is currently recruiting:
- 2 x Newcastle WOW Facilitators
- 2 x Sydney WOW facilitators
Allied Health Clinician – Casual, 2 days/week – As required during seasonal program.
WOW Surfing Experience Facilitator – Sydney and Newcastle
Waves of Wellness (WOW) Foundation is a for-purpose mental health charity committed to changing the face of mental health. We strive to change lives through innovative mental health and wellbeing programs based on our three pillars of wellness, social inclusion, connection to nature, and engagement in meaningful activity. Our mission is to create and implement innovative mental health wellness programs that break down the barriers and stigma that prevent people from being well.
The WOW Surfing Experience (WOWSE) is an 8-week evidence based learn-to-surf program for people experiencing mental health issues. It facilitates functional recovery, while promoting social inclusion, engagement and enhanced quality of life. The primary focus of the program is to introduce surfing to participants as a way to improve physical health, mental health and wellbeing in a neutral, non-intrusive environment. The program uses the ocean and surfing as a conduit to explore, stimulate and facilitate positive health outcomes.
The program is facilitated by mental health clinicians who are also trained in learn-to-surf instructing. Each program comprises 10 volunteers to match participants on a 1:1 ratio, which strengthens inclusion and social connection. Each week, the program addresses a different mental health theme allowing participants to learn new skills and strategies through lived experience storytelling and connection with like minded individuals. Clinical expertise facilitates functional recovery and meaningful connection. A therapeutic graded approach is essential to promote recovery in a supported environment rather than overwhelming participants. Through involvement in this program, participants gain the opportunity to learn how to use surfing as a coping strategy for their mental health.
Description of the Role
As a WOW Facilitator, you will provide on the ground support, supervision and facilitation of surfing wellbeing programs at designated program sites. This role will work across therapeutic programs, and the implementation and roll out of WOW’s new wellbeing programs. Initially 2 days per week, successful applicants have the opportunity to grow with the organisation and days of work offered.
Duties and Responsibilities
WOWSE facilitators divide their time equally amongst the following program elements.
- Recruitment of participants
- Enrolment and intake of participants
- Program promotion
- Facilitation of group discussions
- Supervision of WOWSE volunteers
- Administrative duties related to day-to-day running of the program
- Provide one-to-one counselling if needed for participants
- Represent WOWSE to existing and new stakeholders
Experience & Qualifications
- Relevant allied health qualification in Occupational Therapy, Social Work, Psychology, or mental health Nursing, or related fields.
- Experience working with people who experience mental health issues
- Knowledge on mental health recovery, strength-based programming, and various aspects of wellness
- Knowledge on mental health group facilitation and the management of group dynamics
- Demonstrated understanding of duty of care responsibilities, confidentiality, risk assessments, and client consent
- Ability to work in partnership with program participants, volunteers, families, carers and other social and community networks
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team as well as work independently with high level communication and organisational skills
- Ability to create a fun, positive, non-judgemental, safe space within a group setting with elements of self-disclosure to promote non-invasive openness
- Knowledge on how mental health can impact skill mastery and behaviours within a group context
- Understanding how positive relationships, de-stigmatisation of mental health, and physical activity can influence recovery
- Demonstrated ability to role model positive behaviour as a facilitator
- Ability to work in beach environment that may include varying weather conditions
- Ability to identify risks and hazards on the beach and in the ocean
- Confidence in the ocean with various surf conditions
- Intermediate level of surfing ability
- Willingness to obtain ASI Level 1 surfing instructor qualification
- Willingness to undergo Child Protection check and Police check
- Current unrestricted Australian driver’s license
- Ability to support and promote the mission and values of the Waves of Wellness Foundation.
- Knowledge of community networks and resources in applicable communities
- Experience with youth, people who are homeless, people from CaLD backgrounds and people from Indigenous communities
- Lived experience with mental health challenges and confidence in sharing your recovery story
- Passion for surfing, the ocean, and the outdoors
- Surf lifesaving, competitive surfing/swimming experience.
- Experience with volunteer management
- Risk analysis experience
How to Apply
Please email your curriculum vitae and a cover letter (3 pages maximum) highlighting relevant academic and work experience with relation to above criteria, by Sunday 13th August 11:59pm, to email@example.com.
Interviews will be carried out 16th and 17th August.
If successful, you will be required to attend a training day first week of September.
Role will commence last week of September
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications close: Sunday 13th August 11:59pm.